WE'RE HIRING: Marketing and Development Officer
History of the Guild
Launched in 2016 to enhance the visibility, resilience and sustainability of the region’s creative communities, Sheffield Creative Guild is a membership cooperative for any individual, business or organisation working in the creative sector. We aim to:
● connect creatives and improve networking and collaboration
● provide support and advice to creatives in the region
● promote and shout about our members and their work
● represent and advocate for our members and on behalf of the sector
● provide routes to market
Over the past 3 years we have expanded our membership to over 800 whilst at the same time growing our small staff team. We host a varied and busy annual events programme from workshops and showcases to socials and parties, last year alone we hosted over 30 events across the city. Our timebank platform enables members to share knowledge and skills, reinterpreting traditional economic perceptions of value. So far over 300 hours of skills have been traded which has enabled members to collaborate and grow new projects, learn new skills and generally just get stuff done.
We are a young organisation with a big ambition to develop and grow. We are about to embark on developing a physical city centre space for both the organisation and our members, we’re at an exciting stage in our evolution and we’re looking for an energetic, organised and driven person to join the team and, with support, work to see the Guild continue to grow and flourish.
The Guild is currently run by Events and Programme Manager, Oriana Franceschi and Digital Producer, Brett Chapman, alongside a voluntary Board of Directors. Find out more about the Guild here.
Purpose of the Marketing and Development role
This is a new role and a unique opportunity to shape the future of the organisation. The focus of the role is in raising the profile and presence of the Guild in the city, and in building its strength, by helping us to market and promote all of our activity, develop new revenue streams through fundraising, commissions and new membership, and by ensuring that members are happy, engaged and effective ambassadors for us.
You will play a key role in enabling the organisation to grow, meeting ambitious targets for the next year. You will join our small, supportive and friendly staff team working closely with a dedicated board of directors, especially those directors with a responsibility for marketing and fundraising. We’re at an exciting stage of development, having just moved into our first workshop space and with a new, eager board ready to support you and the rest of the staff team, and to lead the Guild to bigger and better things. If you’re interested in and connected to creativity in Sheffield, if you have energy, ideas and a love of working with a team to make big things happen, you could make a great addition to our staff. The post is fixed-term in part to cover maternity leave, but we’d like to retain this post long-term (it’ll be dependent on funding) to keep our team strong and able. Bring your enthusiasm, inventiveness and organisational skills!
Hours: 15 hours a week, flexible
Contract: Fixed term - until 27th September 2020 (extension subject to funding)
Salary: £18,360 pro rata
Benefits: 6 weeks paid holiday per year pro rata and a flexible pension scheme
Location: The Workshop, Orchard Square, S12FB
Responsible to: Programme Manager
Main duties and responsibilities
● Support the implementation of the Guild’s income generation strategy
● Contribute to the identifying of funding opportunities and the writing of any bid applications
● Look out for other opportunities to increase income through commissions, funding, grants and membership
● Be a point of contact for existing and potential members and deal with membership enquiries
● Manage member subscriptions and renewals and maintain membership records ensuring accuracy
● Monitor membership happiness and satisfaction by handling annual membership surveys
● Manage our social media accounts
● Manage the message board and resources sections of the website
● With support from the board, contribute to the creation of a marketing plan and promotional materials
● Support the delivery and running of the events as required by Programme Manager
● With support from the staff team, develop, sell and programme the Guild’s new space to members and the wider community
This is a guide to the role of Marketing and Development Officer. As this is a new role responsibilities are likely to evolve with the post-holder and with the needs of the organisation.
Desirable skills and experience
● Good written and verbal communication skills
● Experience of successful fundraising within a creative context and of researching trusts and grant-making organisations
● Excellent planning skills and time management with the ability to prioritise workload – both individually and within a team
● Good IT skills including Microsoft and Google suites
● Knowledge of Sheffield and the surrounding region
● Experience using social media in a professional context
● Experience of creating marketing materials and copy
● Basic understanding of updating websites
● Experience of event delivery
Working style and interests
● An energetic and self-motivated approach to work, with an ability to organise and prioritise a demanding workload
● Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
● Willingness to work flexibly with changing business needs
● Ability to learn quickly and on the job
● A willingness to contribute wholeheartedly to the efforts of the team
How to apply
Please send your CV and an A4 cover letter outlining your enthusiasm and suitability for the role to email@example.com
For an informal chat about the role please contact Oriana Franceschi on the above email to arrange a phone call.
Deadline: 10am 3 March
Interviews: 9 / 10 March
Start date: 9 April